Most Recent Gathering
The Lord’s Prayer
“How to Pray the Right Way”
A lifestyle of consistent, passionate, prayer is not the reality of many followers of Jesus Christ.
FOR MANY, PRAYER IS…
Inconvenient - Bothersome; Intimidating - Hard/scary to do; Insignificant - Doesn’t matter
Insufficient - Not enough; Ineffective - Doesn’t work
Until we pray “rightly,” we will have difficulty praying consistently, passionately, and effectively.
What is the “right” way to pray?
Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (Matthew 6:9-13)
* Five “R’s” for Praying the Right Way
* Three Immediate Applications
* One Glorious Gospel
FIVE R’S FOR PRAYING RIGHTLY
Perceive yourself as a loved and cherished child of God.
- And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. Luke 15:20
- QUESTION TO CONSIDER - When you approach God in prayer, do you relate to Him more as a merciful and compassionate Father eager to receive you; or as an angry and disappointed Judge waiting to scold you?
Praise God for His character and attributes and thank Him for the blessings that flow from His character.
- In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!” Isaiah 6:1-3
- “Except where intolerably adverse circumstances interfere, praise almost seems to be inner health made audible.” C.S. Lewis
- QUESTION TO CONSIDER - Are your prayers dominated more by words that express a desire for your needs to be met or for God’s character to be exalted?
Posture yourself in humility by surrendering your will and your ways to him.
- And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts! Isaiah 6:5
- But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33
- QUESTION TO CONSIDER: When you pray are your more concerned with God’s agenda in the world or with your agenda for your life?
Petition God for both your physical needs and your relational (with God and others) needs.
- “Forgiveness is the only way we can stand in the presence of God.” R.C. Sproul
- Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Proverbs 28:13
- Impotent prayers are many times the result of unrepentant sin.
- Humble repentance before God precedes bold requests of God.
- QUESTION TO CONSIDER - What current sin of yours, if confessed, would free you to pray bolder, more audacious prayers?
Prepare yourself for the spiritual warfare that awaits you.
- In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, Ephesians 6:16-18
- QUESTION TO CONSIDER - What temptations of the enemy do you need to pray that God would keep and protect you from?
THREE IMMEDIATE APPLICATIONS
- Evaluate your prayer life.
- Teach it and try it.
- Contact us if you’re passionate about leading Hope Church to grow as a praying church. ([email protected])
ONE GLORIOUS GOSPEL
Praying the right way isn’t how you are made right with God. But, praying the right way had much to do with how Jesus was given the strength to make a way for us to be made right with God.
And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done. And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.” LUKE 22:41-43
More From This Series
Download Our App!
Our mobile app is a great place to connect to what God is doing in Las Vegas, the West and the World through Hope Church. On our app you can find information on events and activities, watch sermon videos, take message notes, request prayer and much more! We hope our app serves you well!Download Now
Get "The Weekly" In Your Inbox
Stay in the loop about all things Hope Church by subscribing to our Weekly email!